Monday, November 3, 2014

No Subject.... Thanks Tawn :)

Hey my favorite family!
Thank you so much for your emails and letters this week! I love hearing how y'all are doing! It's starting to cool down here in Texas and it's almost time for me to break out my tights! This week has been great and I have learned so much as a servant of the Lord. The area I serve in is tough number-wise, but I count my blessings and miracles I see every day.
Halloween was so fun! We went to the ward party and dressed up as senior Sisters. A lot of the members thought that someone brought their grandma and their great aunt. BAHAHA we pulled it off so well. we went to an elderly sister in the ward and asked her for baby powder (to make our hair grey) nylons, and 2 pairs of glasses and guess what?...she had it all! Bless her heart ;)
I went on two great exchanges this week with our amazing sisters. I truly have grown to love them each individually and want to serve them in any way possible. We were driving down the street the other day and I know Sister Meiners thought I was crazy because I randomly said "I love our sisters." I know I have been sent to serve them at this time.
The first sister I went with is such an awesome missionary! As we went forward with faith, we taught a great lesson to some awesome member missionaries and we also ran upon a sweet elderly couple who formerly investigated the gospel. I have felt for a few weeks that we needed to go visit them, and we acted on that prompting. Hiba was with us as our exchange for the night, and as we knocked on the door a sweet man told us about how Sisters used to come over and teach them, but they don't fully agree with the things we teach. As we sat at the door step and explained the gospel... he opened up to us and told us that his wife is really sick and she doesn't get out of bed often. The Lord gave us an opportunity to share about the resurrection and open the spirit up to that man and his home. When we were getting ready to leave I asked if we could leave him with a prayer. He said "Yes! How about you come inside and pray with my wife, too?" The 3 of us went inside and Sister De la Cruz offered an amazing prayer for us and for the couple we had visited. As we were leaving their home he said "I can tell you one thing, the quality of the people in the LDS church is amazing!" I know that although we had a  hard week, this was exactly where we needed to be, the one person who needed us and to feel the love of the Savior. I know we were an instrument in his hands, I'm grateful he allowed us the opportunity to be worked through.
My second exchange was with a sister I came out with. She is such an awesome missionary and I know she is training a new sister the standards and vision of the Texas Fort Worth Mission! I learned so much from her. We are having a lot of the same struggles but a lot of the same positive attitudes! She is working hard and on her way to continue baptizing!
This week has been really tough for me. I had a breakdown during planning.. haha I laugh because it was pretty funny looking back. I'm having a hard time because we aren't finding people to teach. Every time we get a referral they aren't in our area or they are not interested... and I understand that because I've been a missionary long enough! I also feel the weight of how much time I don't have to do the things I need to do and become who the Lord wants me to be. As I talked with Sister Meiners about this discouragement she reminded me that we aren't going to see fruits of our efforts all the time. She also reminded me that although we may not be finding success in our area, the sisters we are working with are doing great and we are helping them to become the best missionaries they can be. I have been called to serve them, and serve in my area. I still need to learn to count little successes along the way. 
I am so grateful for the trials I have been given as a missionary. They have changed me and they have changed who I want to become. I know the gospel is true! I love it with all my heart and can't wait to see what else the Lord wants me to learn as I continue to serve him with all my "heart, might, mind, and strength."
I love y'all, have a great week!
XOXO- Sister Sylar


No comments:

Post a Comment