Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Texas Experience!

Hey Family,

It's been so great to see pictures of your fun adventures and hear about what's going on in your lives! Things are going great here in Denton!
It's a lot different than I expected it to be. It's definitely screaming at the country in me. Are you ready to hear about where I live and how long it takes us to get places?...
Well... I live in a barn. Yes, you read right. A barn. We have a little apartment above the barn and do our laundry where the stables are. We go outside to exercise in the morning and get a great view of horses, cows, longhorns, and green landscape as far as the eye can see :) Bet you wish y'all were a missionary in Denton don't you?
It takes us about 8 miles to get to where the people actually live in our area. The miles on our car are basically gone so we've been biking a ton this week. Right now there are only 2 people we are teaching. We are working really hard on finding people who are ready to accept us and the gospel of Jesus Christ. One of the challenges we face is Denton Bible church (a mega church) which preaches against Mormonism quite often, so many people have misconceptions and think we don't believe in God. Despite the challenges our area is facing right now I know the Lord has sent me to Denton to help find the elect. To teach them about the gospel and bring them closer to our Heavenly Father. Sister Meiners and I are having a blast trying to figure out what we can do to help the area progress. It's definitely going to be a process, but I know we've been sent here for a reason.
One of the young women we are teaching, M.S. is very sweet. She's 13 and has a lot of energy, that's for sure! She grew up in a very tough atmosphere and her mom made the choice to be homeless, so she lives with her grandma who is a very strong member of the church. M.S. has grown up in another church that has really changed her life and helped her. Right now she feels like she's being pulled between two churches but wants to find the truth. I know she will find it as she asks with a sincere heart. :) We also are teaching. E.C. He's so funny and has had a quite a hard life as well, but the gospel is what I know can bring him so much happiness.
I've been studying Doctrine and Covenants for the last couple weeks and I was recently studying in Section 14 when the Lord tells John Whitmer that the thing that will bring the most joy into his life will be sharing the gospel and declaring repentance to the people. I can testify of that! I know that sharing the gospel brings more joy in my life than anything else I've ever done! I've never been on such a great spiritual high for so long and I know it's because I'm sharing the gospel every single day. It's a blessing to be a missionary. I love it, I feel like the time is short and it's slipping from under me. But I will work hard until the day I go home, because this is what the Lord has sent me here to do!

I love y'all! Hope you have a great week and remember to read the Book of Mormon! :)
XOXOXO- Sister Sylar


No comments:

Post a Comment