Thursday, August 14, 2014

Family History, I am doing it!!

famILY! :)
It's so great to hear from y'all each week and see how you're doing. Things are going great here in Texas. It's been a hot week, but we are surviving through it!
We've seen so many great things recently, I can't wait to share them all with you.
 A couple weeks ago we went to a child of record baptism where they had friends that weren't members. When we went to their home afterward, we met many non members and talked to one, R.R. As we talked with him we discovered that he has done family history for years and has gone to Salt Lake to try and find one person on his tree that he couldn't find. He's been searching for 41 years. 
We invited him to come to the 2nd hour of church where they have the Family History class and the consultants could help him find some clues on what he should be looking for and introduce him to FamilySearch.org. He graciously accepted our offer. 2 weeks later we received a text saying that he was going to come to class. He spent a couple hours with family history consultants on Sundays and then would go home to do his own research. As weeks went by, when he came to church, he started to dress nicer and nicer. (that was just a cool observance) Last Thursday R.R.was able to go to the Family History center with some of our consultants in the ward and found the man he's been looking for for 41 years! He was so excited he said he cried. He's been spending time calling his family and letting them know of the miracle that happened. When he told us the story and showed us all the information I explained the Spirit of Elijah to him, and his face lit up. I know that he's having positive experiences with the gospel and I pray that we may have the opportunity to teach him why it's so important to us!
We are working especially close with J.T. We've been teaching her for about 2 months, going on three. What a great woman of faith she is! I know I've told y'all about her. When I took Sister Coleman tracting for the first time and she was the first door we knocked on and let us teach her! We are still trying to help her gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. But this week we got her a large print copy of the Book of Mormon and Bible. Her washer machine went out a couple weeks ago and she's been going to the Laundromat to do laundry on Sundays and not coming to church because of it. This week, we found out that they're trying to find members for us to live with because our apartment lease is up. So... we rounded up a couple in the ward and they helped us take our washing machine to J.T.'s house. Her husband and her were so happy and she was able to come to church with us on Sunday. The lessons were great, the kids were noisy and it kinda distracted her, but I know she felt the spirit.
We took her to the mission president fireside last night and it was amazing! The spirit it always so strong there when we sing together, hear the testimonies of converts, and listen to president Ames share some great doctrine. At the end she talked to President for a minute, he answered many of her questions and leaned over and said "I want you to have the Sisters tell me when you're getting baptized" and she said "President, will you be there?!" His eyes got wide and he paused and he said "If I don't have a meeting to speak at that night, I will be there!" :) He's so inspiring and really does carry the spirit with him wherever he goes.
After the fireside I also got to see.. .wait for it... my recent converts from River Trails! :) Katie and her husband Bovick are doing so well! I asked them how the Word of Wisdom is going and they're both living it fully! (which is something he was still working on when I left). If you don't remember they are also the couple who got married so she could get baptized! It's so amazing to see them fully living the gospel. They go out with the missionaries and teach, they're preparing to go to the temple soon, and when I was leaving Katie said "I'm so happy!" I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ has brought her that happiness.
Nothing in my life has brought more joy to me than seeing my brothers and sisters join the fold of God and make changes to their lives to live the gospel! As I have been studying the Book of Mormon, I have felt the power that comes from it. I'm grateful for it. I know it's true. I want to share a talk with y'all that I know can help bear testimony of the Book of Mormon as well:
 
 
Elder Holland is such a powerful speaker and apostle (my personal favorite) I add my testimony to his. The Book of Mormon is the Word of God! I pray that the spirit will always witness the truth of it unto us by the power of the Holy Ghost. I want to challenge y'all to read the Book of Mormon by December 18th. :) As you see the power and peace that can come to your life from it, I know y'all will be blessed beyond what you can comprehend. I love the Savior, I love my Heavenly Father, and I love the Texas Fort Worth Mission!
I love y'all sooo much!
Until next week.
XOXOX- Sister Sylar






No comments:

Post a Comment