Monday, July 28, 2014

Have the Miracles Ceased? No!? :)

Hey Y'all!
It's been such a great week. We've been working hard and the Lord is really helping us find those people who are being prepared to receive the gospel! I was a sweat ball as we walked around trying to contact people. But we've also been teaching people 21 tips to better grades, that's been a great way of contacting! :) The 21st tip is to seek Divine Assistance and to pray to our Heavenly Father before school, tests, and studying. I know that it can help all of us when we apply it into our lives. I know that because I've seen it help me as I've read the scriptures! I'm so grateful for those books and the prophets who kept record for us to have such great stories of God's dealing with his children!
When I first got into the area Sister Chantry and I sat down with the bishop and went over a ward list and talked about the people who may be open to us visiting and who the members were working with. There was one family in particular that he said "Don't worry too much about them, they're being watched over by many families" So we never bothered to go over.
This week I had a feeling that we needed to stop by and try to see them. We put them on our plans for several days but didn't have the time to go and contact them until Friday night. when we knocked on the door she opened it, with her son next to her, and said "COME IN! It's hot out there!" She told us that she had been outside pulling weeds and we offered to put down our bags and help. She was in shock that we were so quick to offer and told us that the mosquitoes were out so we couldn't do it then. We had a great conversation with them for about an hour and then they invited us to go to breakfast with them Saturday morning. After breakfast we were able to go help in the yard for a little bit. She told us a lot of why she doesn't come to church anymore, she has gone through some hard times and after listening for about 45 minutes while pulling weeds she said "Thank you for listening". In that moment I remembered what President Holland said about Listening in Preach My Gospel:
More important than speaking is listening. These people are not lifeless objects disguised as a baptismal statistic. They are children of God, our brothers and sisters, and they need what we have. Be genuine. Reach out
sincerely. Ask these friends what matters most to them. What do they cherish, and what
do they hold dear? And then listen. If the setting is right, you might ask what their fears
are, what they yearn for, or what they feel is missing in their lives. I promise you that
something in what they say will always highlight a truth of the gospel about which you
can bear testimony and about which you can then offer more. . . . If we listen with love,
we won’t need to wonder what to say. It will be given to us—by the Spirit and by our
friends” (“Witnesses Unto Me,” Ensign, May 2001, 15)

I know this is true. I know that when we talk to people about the important things in their lives will always demonstrate a truth of the gospel! I pray that we may open our hearts and minds to helping others see how the gospel can ring true to them! As we continued to help them their son opened up to us and told us that he misses coming to church and would love to come again. Sister B's daughter and husband (newly married) are not members and are open to learning more about the gospel. We're excited about this miracle and know that the Lord is softening hearts everywhere.
Along with the miracle we also had a hard time this week because one of our investigators dropped us. He texted us on Saturday and told us that his parents are not fond of him learning the lessons and he doesn't want to feel contention in his home by continuing without their blessing. I understand and respect where he's coming from. I pray that he may continue to be prepared to receive the fullness of the gospel at a later time in his life. I know it's already changed him so much and he's been taught some great things.
I know the gospel is true. I'm so grateful for all the Lord has blessed me with. I know that as we continue to pray in faith, our Heavenly Father will bless us because he's interested in every detail of our lives.
Until next week, Y'all!
I love you!
-Sister Tawny Sylar

No comments:

Post a Comment