Monday, November 25, 2013

Deep in the COLD heart of Texas.

Hello from Texas!
This week's weather has been insane! We had an 87 degree day.. the next day we were at 34 and we have a freezing rain storm warning right now! How crazy. and you can only guess... in a skirt, that's stinkin' cold! I have to make sure to wear lots of layers and at this point, I don't care how goofy I look. I just love my socks and flats!
Things are so great here though. I'm loving every second of my mission! I have some great things to share with you this week! Especially about Matt. He's been going to church with his girlfriend for a year and a half. We began teaching him about a month ago and he has always been very open to learning more. We lost contact with him for about 3 weeks due to school and sickness, but 2 weeks ago at church you could just see his face light up as we went to say hi! We taught him on Sunday night at a member's house and challenged him to read the Joseph Smith History story and pray about it. I know this was inspired, he has a testimony of the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith but he thinks that something is missing. On Wednesday night we had another lesson at the same member's house. The spirit is so strong there! We followed up on the things we challenged him to do and he said he loved it! It filled in the gaps of the story he didn't understand. As we continued talking and having a discussion about the Gospel of Jesus Christ we talked about baptism. In Mosiah 18 it talks about our baptismal covenants, to bear one another's burden's and mourn with those who mourn. What a great task we have as members of the church to build people up and bring them true happiness! In verse 10 it says "If this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord..." as we talked to Matt about this we invited him to be baptized and he said yes! :) His baptismal service will be this upcoming Saturday at 6 pm. I'm so grateful for the spirit he is able to feel as he comes to church and learns more about Christ. I get to give the baptism talk and share my testimony about baptism with his non-member family and his girlfriend's less active mom.
We have another sweet girl, Sierra who we are teaching. She has a boyfriend on a mission and was thinking for quite a while that she would wait for him before she got baptized. We had a lesson with his sister and her on Wednesday and talked about how her boyfriend wouldn't want her to wait if she knew it was true. At the end of the lesson we found out that she's scared of what her parents will think but she said "I have a feeling that if I know it's true then I should get baptized" As missionary's... those are great words, and we are doin everything we can to help her find out for herself that the church is true.
There are so many great things here, keep praying for people and missionaries in your ward! They need people to teach, fill their calendars. I'm a HUGE advocate for member missionary work... it really works! :) I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving week that I have to ponder the things I'm most grateful for in my life. I'm grateful for my Savior and his sacrifice for me to be cleansed from my every day sins so I can return to live with my Heavenly Father again. I'm thankful for my loving family and friends EACH AND EVERY DAY! I know that everyone has been placed in my life for a reason. And I'm grateful for this time I have to learn how to be a better disciple of Jesus Christ. May the Lord bless you this Thanksgiving. I love y'all so much. Be safe!
With Love From TEXAS,
Sister Tawny Ann Sylar

No comments:

Post a Comment